Most of the nation is experiencing a snow day; most of us are regretting not stocking up with soup, milk and bread before the Beast from the East greeted the UK. Combined with the desire to not go to the shops and soak yet another pair of shoes and the hunger in my belly, I made a “throw everything together” lunch that turned out pretty nicely. Well, if you count swallowing a chilli seed, glugging three pints of water and your mum googling whether you can die from eating chilli (you can) as “nice” that is. Here’s a little snow day recipe for anyone who’s already bored of daytime television.
Ingredients | For one
- 1 courgette (spiralized)
- 1 chicken breast
- 4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 red pepper (cut into strips)
- A small red chilli (finely chopped- I recommend removing the seeds)
- 1/4 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/4 lemon (wedged)
- As much goat’s cheese as you like (because who measures goat’s cheese?!)
- Heat a pan with oil and season the chicken breast with turmeric. Fry the chicken, cooking it for three minutes on each side. Turn the oven to gas mark 6 and, once the chicken is fried, cook it for 20 minutes, or until it’s cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, spiralize the courgette and pop it into a bowl. Prepare the garlic and chilli (using as much chilli as you like) and heat another pan with oil.
- Fry off the chilli and garlic and prepare the pepper.
- Add the pepper to the pan and stir the garlic, chilli and pepper together.
- Once the chicken has about five minutes left to cook, add the courgetti to the pan and stir together.
- When the chicken is cooked, plate both the chicken and the courgetti salad. Squeeze your lemon wedge over the courgetti and sprinkle goat’s cheese on top.
Since I was stupid enough to run in the snow just to go to the gym (it was empty so I stand by it being worth it), I thought it was wise to protein and veg up. I will definitely be making variations of this courgetti salad in the future; minus the chilli seeds. I’m slightly in love with my spiralizer and can’t wait to play around with it some more- the snow needs to clear so I can purchase me some more courgettes!